Letters of Recommendation
I receive many requests for letters of recommendation, especially in the fall. While I am generally happy to write them, to keep up with the number of requests I've had to devise some general organizational strategies. You, dear student, will get best results if you follow these guidelines.
- Start early! I require at least two weeks’ notice before the first letter is due.
Prepare a dossier (electronic format) containing the following.
- Your CV/résumé
- Your personal statement(s)/application essay
- Places to which you are applying and why you are applying to them
- Instructions for sending the letters
- Create a folder on a shared drive, e.g., Google Drive. Share this folder with “ude.usm@denworb“. Place your dossier in this folder, and create a spreadsheet within this folder with the columns listed below. Provide as much information as possible. As I finish and send the letters for each institution, I'll mark the column “Finished” so you know they've been sent.
- Send this information to me all at once, rather than drips and drops of a few schools at a time.