Physics at Run II Workshop
Diffraction and Color Coherence - Working Group VI
A home page for the diffraction and color coherence
working group of the Physics at
QCD and weak boson workshop in preparation for Run II
at the Fermilab
Convenors: Carl Schmidt,
Working Group VI Chapter Write-up
Contributions to the Working Group VI Chapter are available here.
- First General Meeting: Fermilab, March 4-6, 1999.
- Second General Meeting: Fermilab, June 3-4, 1999.
- Third General Meeting: Fermilab Nov 4-6, 1999.
Here is a list of physics topics (surely incomplete) to consider:
- Hard Diffraction (diffractive jet, W, Psi, top, etc. production)
- Hard double pomeron (gap gap, gap track, track track) with jets, and
other final states
- Inclusive double pomeron (track track)
- Glueballs/ Hadron spectroscopy in double pomeron
- High-t elastic and diffractive scattering
- Partonic structure of pomeron?
- Parton-x dependence of gap fractions
- Relationship to diffractive physics at HERA
- Gaps as LHC tool?
- Hard pomeron intercept and slope
- Low ET very forward jets
- Energy flow between forward jets
- Low-x studies
- Any good ideas?
- Color coherence
- Can pursue in W+jet, Z+jet systems (statistics limited in Run I)
- General hadron flow patterns
- Difficult in jet systems. Any new ideas? (Kt algorithm?)
- Other topics, including:
- Can we probe transition regions
- 3 forward jets, other ideas from
- Gaps in rapidity along high-ET jet axes?
- Diffractive production of SUSY?
- minimum bias physics
- New ideas requiring clever triggers
- Monte Carlo generators
Specific Topics for Further Study
Topics discussed at the first meeting which require more work:
- Double Pomeron
- MC predictions needed to predict rates for Run II
- What states are allowed and disallowed?
- What resonances to look for?
- Summary of existing literature for references and predictions
- What kind of mass resolution, particle ID do CDF & D0 have?
- Can we identify glueballs? How to use partial wave analysis
and related techniques?
- Predictions of phi & t correlations of double pomeron
(inclusive and hard)?
Do these change for non-superhard pomeron?
- Measure M(jj)/M(total) for existing data
- Double pomeron to Higgs--Get more info on this
- Centauros, DCC's in double pomeron. How to trigger? Any predictions?
- Diffractive structure functions
- Inputting Hera functions into Tevatron.
- Are HERA predictions stable?
- Write up CDF beta method. Is this consistent with HERA?
ESCALE error on jet ET's? Adding in reggeons?
- Other Diffraction
- High t predictions for elastic and Single Diffraction at root_s=2000 GeV?
Are there survival effects if high t?
- Perturbative versus non-perturbative survival probability, following
George Sterman's talk
- Edge of gap predictions and existing measurements? How best to measure?
- Photon-pomeron predictions? How to identify photon (Odderon?)?
Is there input from HERA?
- Gap fraction at HERA as f(xgamma)
- Measure d2sig/dx1dx2 rather than ratio? (Don't worry about cancelling PDF's)
- Use MC's to check exact D0 cuts, check PDF's
- Forward jets in Run II? CDF studies on low ET forward jet possibilities?
- Monte Carlo Studies
- Tuning PYTHIA+Pompyt.
- New MC's?
- Soft Color, Phojet studies?
- Study effect of Underlying event on 0,1,2 gaps and ratios
- Other topics
- What measurements can be made that are sensitive to impact parameter
- What measurements benefit from variable root_s?
FELIX topics to Tevatron