Living in East Lansing
Capital City Area
The campus adjoins East Lansing, a pleasant residential city with a population of about 50,000 and a well-regarded public school system. Lansing, the capital of Michigan, is contiguous with East Lansing. The Lansing area has a population of almost 500,000.
Old Town in Lansing recently won the IKEA Small Business Big Dreams Makeover contest.
Arts & Music
- Eli & Edythe Broad Art Museum
- MSU Museum (Natural History)
- Kresge Art Museum at MSU
(now closed, but the website has links to former exhibitions)
- Arts Council of Greater Lansing
- If you're athletically inclined, there are many intramural sports open to graduate students. The physics department currently has soccer and softball teams. In addition, there's a Tuesday morning pick-up basketball game every week.
- For the sports fan, MSU is a Big Ten school competitive in Basketball (men's and women's), Hockey and Football. Season tickets for all sports are available at student rates.
- Lansing is home to the Lugnuts: a minor league baseball team.